Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Browsing through the free books for Kindle and computers


I've been spending lots of time working, and cleaning out my office at work.  Over 15 years in one place means lots of stuff.  I interviewed for a new job, and if I get it, I'll only have about two weeks to finish up my work projects and clean out the office, storage building, and truck.  Not much time so I'm starting now...just in case I get the new job.  I'll write about the possibilities of what may happen with our lives if I do get the new job.  But not tonight.

Every once in a while I go through the Amazon free Kindle book section.  Even if you don't have a Kindle you can download the books to your computer and read them on the computer.  I do have a Kindle.  I was given the basic Kindle by a friend who bought one with the latest greatest features.   I found a few good free books today.  Some are older books that are available in other places on the Internet as well.  Some are published books that are either in a series (and they give you the first to hook you in the series) or are touted as complimentary review copies.  If you review one of these complimentary copies, then by all means after you read them put up a review on their page.  I haven't reviewed any of these, other than the first one listed, since I just downloaded them today.

The first is the disaster preparedness guide that I reviewed not too long ago.  It wasn't the best book at all for disaster preparedness but I thought it was a great book for someone who hasn't ever thought of disaster preparedness.  I did like the portions of the book that listed the costs for the projects.  That is unique to this book.  For free, it's worth reading.

http://www.amazon.com/Disaster-Preparedness-Preppers-Survival-ebook/dp/B00939RJN0/ref=zg_bs_154606011_f_75

A couple of religious downloads were next.  First is a Bible, not the standard version that many people use but I like having a bunch of different versions.  You can find dozens of versions for free, this just popped up today. 

http://www.amazon.com/English-Standard-Version-Cross-References-ebook/dp/B001EOCFU4/ref=zg_bs_154606011_f_85

Next was a book that looked like it would be good for 5th grade or so on up.  I haven't read this so I can't tell you if that's too young.  It's from Focus on the Family so there shouldn't be language or situations written in a way that a sailor would blush. 

http://www.amazon.com/Castaway-Focus-Family-Books-ebook/dp/B006WSBPGC/ref=pd_ybh_4

Next book was authored by a Navy Seal who writes of his inspirations and then going back to his religious foundation and spreading the word to those he meets.  He finds that after a while he isn't quite fitting in with his group of seals. 

http://www.amazon.com/SEAL-of-God-ebook/dp/B007TWKY1C/ref=pd_ybh_6

Finally, one of my favorite topics: food.  It's a book of homemade mixes, although I'm not sure how many of them I'd actually use.  At least it can get you to thinking about putting together some mixes.  You home storage doesn't have to include all beans and rice but you don't need store bought boxed brownie mix either.  You can make your own mixes and store them in individual canning jars. 

 http://www.amazon.com/100-Easy-Recipes-Jars-ebook/dp/B0094RZ28A/ref=pd_ybh_7

Next is a pressure cooker (not canner) book that if nothing else will maybe convince you to buy a pressure cooker.  You can quickly prepare meals, and if fuel is at a premium, this is one method that many people overlook.  San Diego sister was given an electric pressure cooker from her mother-in-law.  She never used it so she gave it to me.  I tried it but it's really too small to be of much use. 

http://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Cooker-Recipe-Book-ebook/dp/B00A6A2M9Q/ref=pd_ybh_5

Last is the Golden Age Cookbook.  It's about 100 years old.  I like the recipes because much of it can be found in your home storage. 

http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Age-Cook-Book-ebook/dp/B004UJUD72/ref=sr_1_206?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1352954829&sr=1-206&keywords=kindle+books#reader_B004UJUD72

No comments:

Post a Comment