Saturday, August 25, 2012

How are you going to get your firewood?

Many of us heat our houses with wood.  Some even cook all their meals with it.  We don't, we use propane, but what if there was a time that we couldn't get propane.  Is the woodpile big enough to last forever?  No.  I don't know very many people who have a large enough wood pile to last forever.  That's a lot of wood! 

How do I get my wood?  I seem to volunteer my yard any time someone has a tree that gets cut down and they don't know what to do with it.  Dump it in my yard.  I've even gone to friends houses and picked up their cut down trees.  I had one friend who had a huge elm tree that was cut down.  The tree cutters bucked it into lengths.  My friend had about four cords of wood in her yard.  I brought over the truck and trailer twice and picked up everything that she had.  Some of her other friends came over and picked up a few pieces for their fireplace but I got about 3 1/2 cords out of the deal.  It still had to be split but that wasn't too difficult.

I have three chain saws of varying sizes from 12 inches to 36 inches.  The 36 inch bar is obviously too big for me.  It was our woods saw when that was part of our livelihood.  Now, I keep trying to barter it for something more useful. 

Those of us that use chainsaws have our gas stored in the gas can.  Some of us preppers have several gas cans that we rotate to keep the gas fresh.  Keeping it fresh is much cheaper than putting in the gas preserver! What happens if we can't get to the gas station?  Doesn't matter if it's an EMP or an earthquake that stopped the trucks, or perhaps it just costs too much.  How are you going to cut your wood?  Do you have a saw?  Do you have a local (meaning you can walk there) place to cut wood?

Other than the chainsaws, I have several hand saws.  A couple years ago I bought little pocket saws for most of my family.  It's a small little saw that's really just a chain that's attached to two wooden handles.  This little saw will cut branches the thickness of my arm without struggle but it won't really work for thicker logs.  What about those huge two person saws?  They will work if you have a second person.  I don't want to have to rely on two people to cut wood.  A friend of mine said they'd possibly swap me a Putsch saw for my chainsaw.   Sounds like a good deal to me.   

No comments:

Post a Comment