Friday, September 30, 2011

One second after

I'm finally reading the book One Second After.  It's about an EMP attack.  I'm sure most of you have read it and I'm the last one in the crowd to do so.  I'm only 1/3 of the way through which is only on day 5.  If you've read the book you know that each chapter is a new day.  I'm not going to get into the plot of the story, especially since I'm only on day five!

For me, living in the Great Central Valley, we don't get earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, or any of those natural disasters.  The fires stay in the mountains, which would burn up my bug-out place but my main house would be fine.  For us a downpour of rain is an inch or two.  The only sudden event that I really think could affect us here is a EMP attack.  Sure other things can happen but we would have some warning, if we choose to heed the warning signs.  We may even have an EMP warning.  After all Iran has stated that they are planning on moving their Navy war ships near the US.

So what about the EMP?  The vehicles won't work, the computer won't work, the refrigerator, freezer, and well pump would be toast.  The country's distribution system would be nonexistent.  This really is where What if IT is today could really come into play.  Am I ready NOW?

What are my plans for tomorrow?  I'm shopping for Army daughter to buy the food for the baby's first birthday.  They are having a party on Sunday at their new house.  I also am tasked with making the cake.  The grand kids are going to a birthday party during the day.  What if I am able to get my shopping done and I get home just in time for the EMP attack?  Do I have enough on hand right now?  For how long?  Do you? 

First thing I'd do is hop on my bike and go get the kids.  Is my tire pumped up?  Do I know what they did with the hand pump?  The first thing that crossed my mind with this was I could use the electric pump.  I know the electricity would be out so I thought that I could just start the truck and run the inverter.  No, neither truck would work.  Note to self: Find the hand pump.  If it's not a good one buy a good one.  If the bike won't work then I'd jog the 10 miles to pick them up.  I'd have a backpack on my back with some water bottles and food but the backpack would also be carrying their backpacks.  They can carry their own on the way back. 

I certainly wouldn't go into the city to find out if anyone knows what's going on.  I don't know if I'd really care other than the first few days may be the safest because the more you'd get into the disaster the more desperate people will become.  I'm sure I'll be finding that out once I get into day 10 or 20 or 100 in the book.

2 comments:

  1. Such a great book! It was my kick in the pants that got me starting to prepare. Enjoy reading it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know that the author of this book; William Forstchen is going to be on a radio blog show called EMPactRadio? It should be great to listen to, seeing as he wrote such a great book. He's going to be on their show January 4th, 2012 at noon (Eastern Time.) Here's the link to listen and to read more about the episode: http://empactradio.org/pvp/episode82-william-forstchen/

    ReplyDelete