Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day

Today is the day America remembers those military members who fought for our freedom but lost their lives in the process.  My great grandparents came to America bringing my grandparents along as young children around the turn of the 1900s.  None of my grandparents were in the service.  My parents were young children during WWII.  My father joined the military after a couple years of college right after the Korean conflict.  One of my siblings retired from the Navy and another is still in the service.  Two of my children and one of my son-in-laws were also in the military.  Fortunately for us, they served their country and came home to tell us about their experiences. 
For many American families this is not the case.  Their loved ones did not return safely.  It is to those families that we salute their lost loved ones.  We do not take our freedom for granted and are grateful for their service. 
Today we celebrated in a typical American fashion.  We flew the flag.  We said some prayers for the soldiers.  We played badminton.  We had a bbq.  We ate and ate and ate.  Granddaughter wanted to know why we were having a party when we are remembering something sad.  I told her that the military folks who lost their lives fighting for freedom for us and others around the world would be happy to know that we appreciated their sacrifice.  They would want us to show that we are living good lives because of them.  God bless America and all those who have fought for our freedom. We salute you.

No comments:

Post a Comment