Monday, February 14, 2011

Unrest

I tried to bring up the rise in food and gas prices and my thoughts on the unrest of people in our country to some of my friends.  Their response was we aren't like Egypt or any other country whose government is in peril.    What do I mean the unrest in our country?  They thought I was nuts. People are all on edge, can't they see it?  Aren't they noticing the changes in their everyday lives? 

Look at some of the tv shows: Survivor, Dual Survival, Man vs. Wild, Survivorman, I Shouldn't Be Alive, The Colony.  There's a new one that was advertised this weekend, I can't remember the name of it but it was advertised that other shows tell you how to get out of the situation you are in and this new show teaches you how to go into the wilderness to forage for all your food and live off the land on purpose. 

In my opinion, these types of shows, while interesting and entertaining (I can't say that I've seen each of the shows I've listed, I may have seen half of them one or two times at most) are an indicator of what's to come in the future.  These desperate situations shown on tv are easing us into that reality. 

Just as I believe that the tv shows, movies, and video games that the people watch or play desensitizes them to vulgar language and behaviors, these new survival shows are an indicator that things to come are not looking good.  People may think today’s blog is one of an alarmist.  It is sort of.  Usually I write about simple things like chickens or recipes or buying a weapon.  But there's more to it.  The basic underlying issue is that there are problems out there.  Whether they are small or large, temporary or long term, we better be ready. 

I'm not really, and I don't spend every minute of the day worrying about the situation in the world or the country or the state.  But it is my responsibility to take care of my family and the more people who I can covert to this way of thinking, of preparing and surviving, the better off everyone will be.  There are so many people out there, including many who are related to me who are totally and completely oblivious to any unrest or disruptions that may soon occur in their daily lives. 

What if IT is today?  How comfortable will you and your family be?  How safe will you be?  Today is just one of those days that I’m alarming myself.  Happy Valentine's Day.

1 comment:

  1. You remind me of myself talking to my students. Few want to learn how to write, but many I see years later admit they wish they'd paid more attention. People don't want to admit that tough times are just before us.

    Thank you for being willing to think it and speak it.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete