Monday, January 3, 2011

Letting the world know who you are and where you live

What are people thinking?  Especially survival minded people.  I try to keep my blog general enough that if you don't know me you can't just look me up on the internet and find out who I am, the names of the kids and grandkids, our address, phone number, and pictures of all of us.  In fact, the email that I correspond to people who contact me through this blog is a specific email that is only used for this blog. 

I read blog after blog after blog.  I spend about an hour a night on the internet.  I'm trying to get more hints about what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong.  Some blogs are great.  Some are so riddled with profanity that even if there is good stuff in it I'm turned off by the words.  When I read a blog, my mind imagines that the writer is reading it to me.  It's like we are sitting at a table and the person is telling me their story.  With every other word being profane I just think that's not someone I want sitting around our kitchen table.  I don't want that language coming out of the grandkids.  They'd get their mouths washed out with soap.  Once again, I digress...

I want fellow preppers that I "associate" with to believe in God and if that's part of their writing, that's fine with me.  The other day I thought I found a good blog only after reading additional articles I realized that one article may be good but they had a Jew is bad, skinhead is good attitude.  Not what I'm looking for.  I don't want to read hate blogs.  I don't believe that one race or one religion is the cause of all the problems in the world.  There are a lot of problems and a lot of causes of those problems.  There are good and bad people associated with every religion.  Whether one believes that their religion is the only right religion or not, doesn't mean they should be blaming everything that has gone wrong in their life to another race or religion.  After all, just because you got an F in algebra doesn't mean it's because Lincoln abolished slavery. 

I'd really like to meet more survival minded people.  I'd like to go to their homes and see what they've done to prep.  I don't know if I want anyone to come to my house.  How do you decide who is honest and who isn't?  Who has good intentions and who doesn't.  I do know that I will not ever put pictures of my family or the location of our home (or even the street name) on this site.  What are preppers thinking when they post pictures of the wife (or husband) and kids?  I just saw one that has pictures of the front yard garden, and there's the address on the mailbox and the car with the license plate visible.

That's not to say that I'm invisible on the internet.  I'm not.  My name and work phone number are listed.  There are many reports I've written for work that are on line.  There's even some pictures of me on the internet.  They just aren't associated with this site. 

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you, I would not want a lot of details about me and my family posted on the internet. So I stay away from Facebook, Twitter etc, even though that is what a lot of bloggers do. I just don't want to risk getting hacked or picking up spyware, like a lot of people i know who use social media. I like your blog, lots of common sense and practical ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am terribly guilty of this. I am a Pollyanna. And a prepper. So I am ready, but I am thinking positive!

    Just found your blog this morning and as you can tell, I am reading old posts. I think we may live close. I am seriously trying to link with other local preppers and self-sufficient folk, but it is hard with all the security issues. To be general, I am in Tulare County.

    ReplyDelete