Saturday, October 30, 2010

Dogs and Cats

I went to Walmart today.  I was in town, had about an hour to spare and wanted to pick up dog food.  I really like the Ol Roy brand of dog food.  It’s inexpensive, has high protein, and is American made.  Most important, it keeps the dog healthy and strong.  Never mind that she goes under the fence every morning and gets fed at the neighbors as well.  They give her their leftovers from the day before.  She has brought home rolls, cake, chicken, potatoes, and just about everything under the sun.  I do know that if times got hard and she couldn’t eat dog food it wouldn’t be hard to switch her over to leftovers. 

The dog is a good hunter.  She catches rabbits, squirrels, birds, and her favorite, moles.  One of our two cats is a good hunter.  He catches mice, young squirrels and rabbits.  The other cat is getting old and just lies around all day and watches the world go by.  We are watching two other cats for a friend who is stationed overseas.  I’m not sure his cats will want to return to their apartment life after running around our 5 acres.  They are both turning into good hunters as well.  It’s a contest at times to see which cat will bring in some dead creature to give us as a gift.  I would like to get more cats after the two visitors leave.  They do help keep the rodent population down. 

We have a six month supply of cat food and about a year of dog food.  How much should be stored?  The dog is a large dog.  Eating the neighbor’s leftovers, she only goes through a 40 pound bag in about two months.  The four cats go through about 10 pounds in a month. 

We don’t have fleas around here.  I don’t know why, but we don’t.  Perhaps it’s the lack of carpet for them to hang around in.  I do have flea shampoo for them just in case.  I also have the drops you put on their back.  One of the cats is highly allergic to the ingredients in the flea products so she just gets washed and combed.  I don’t think we’ve had to do this to her in about six or seven years.  It’s always a fear that others may bring their dogs here and start an infestation.  We have chemicals in the barn to combat bugs in the house and yard.  I don’t know if they have a shelf life or not. 

I don’t have any medications for the animals if they get sick.  This is something on my list but hasn’t been high on the list.

2 comments:

  1. Have you noticed the prices at Walmart lately? The sizes have shrunk and the prices have risen. Having a large stock of supplies accentuates this because you don't shop as often so you really notice the changes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really surprised when I went to the Walmart. One of the things that I've never liked about Walmart was that the rows of shelves were so close together that you couldn't hardly put two carts down one aisle. I knew they were rearranging the stores around here. It looks like they took out a third of the shelves throughout the entire store. There was almost too much space between aisles. Also, the number of items has been reduced. You used to be able to buy just about anything and have choices of size, style, and manufacture. Not anymore.

    ReplyDelete