Saturday, September 11, 2010

September 11 in Afganistan

Got an email from my brother today.  He's at ISAF Headquarters in Kabul.  He provided a couple of tidbits plus photos.  You get the tidbits, I get the photos.   

A Remembrance service was held in the chapel at noon. Their first USO goods arrived yesterday (this was arranged by my sister!) and today they received two of each -Playstation 3, Wii, and XBox, plus many games and movies!  In all, the USO is sending over 100 boxes of things for the soldiers and American civilians.  Items include the games, phones, clothes, food, perfume, coffee and tea, and just about anything that you can think of.

I spoke to some of the younger grandkids today about September 11, 2001.    They didn't know what I was talking about.  They need to know about this in order to understand the world we live in.  There was no discussion in the local elementary school about us being attacked in 2001.  These kids have lived their entire life knowing that we have soldiers in a far off land fighting in a war but they don't know why.  We had a good discussion.

Scars fade, wounds heal, but WE WILL NEVER FORGET.

2 comments:

  1. Many of us will not forget - unforunatly many American's have.

    I will never forget being at work and hearing the news as to what was occurring - I really thought TSHTF.

    Thanks - Rourke
    ModernSurvivalOnline.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was sitting in a hotel room in Sacramento that morning. I was supposed to attend a meeting. Instead I packed up, headed to the hardware store to pick up some gas cans, filled them, then drove home.

    ReplyDelete